Thursday, March 09, 2006

Nocturnal Migration - Calls

Nocturnal Migration - Calls
I also heard curlews in the early evening last night over Heaton. Can you tell me what other birds I might be likely to hear calling whilst flying or migrating at night. Interested!
John Levant,
Heaton

Hi John
Thanks for your comment. Good to know there is someone out there with "Interest!". Not visible migration but just as interesting.

Never actually "seen" a lot by moonlight here over home but the following id'd by call, over the years (over home on nightly walks through the quiet of the open countryside unless stated) spring to mind without too much trouble: Common Sand, Green Sand, Barwit, Redshank, Oyk, Ringed Plover, Dunlin, Snipe, Golden Plover, Curlew, Blackbird, Redwing (but never Fieldfare over home), (Ring Ouzel and Fieldfare in dark at the watchpoin though) also Brambling flock on one occasion. Have also heard Lapwings but not sure if moving birds – your ears in Heaton might be better placed to tell this. Canada flocks often fly over to roost when totally dark. Other than this I don't think I've ever had geese at night here, but I do know of big groups of Pinkfeet heard going over at night in these parts. There are not many trees, nor any water, near where I live! So my experience is possibly a bit limited in this field. Can anyone add their experiences, to what I have said?

Interestingly Skylarks, as diurnal as you can get, are according to the new monograph supposed to migrate partially by night. I have never heard one, if in fact they do call at night. If anyone hears this species at night, would be exceedingly interested to learn. Also interesting if not a bit alien and difficult to accept, from one source of reference is that Woodpigeon show occasional nocturnal migratory activity!!

Dave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home